Risk Reduction and Resilience Education Working Group provides technical guidance on the integration of DRR into teaching and learning, including DRR in formal school curricula and non-formal education within the framework of Education for Sustainable Development.
Working group objectives:
- Strengthen the preparedness and response capacity of Member\States in regard to disaster risks through education, in particular through curriculum development and renewal.
- Contribute to the adoption of common approaches by UN agencies, NGOs and other partners in regard to education and DRR.
- Strengthen the framing and application of educational approaches to DRR within the broader, longer-term and holistic vision of ESD.
- Support capacity development of education planners and practitioners in risk reduction and resilience education.
- Develop quality guidance materials on risk reduction and resilience education.
- Promote national and local adaptation of consensus-based and actionable key messages for household and community risk reduction.
Key resources include:
Working Group members: UNESCO (lead), IFRC (lead)
Photo: DIPECHO project in Nicaragua where, through training and simulation exercises, children gain practical experience in responding to emergency situations. 2009 CRIC